Sunday, March 11, 2007

Atlantic Fabrics in Dartmouth



I found out about the IWK Auxiliary puppets for kids project at my local Atlantic Fabrics store. They have a basket of wool near the checkouts (presumably donated by someone) and an appeal for puppets to be made and dropped off at the store. When I was in the other day there were quite a few knit or crocheted (I can't tell the difference) puppets there awaiting pickup.
By the way, you can get lots of craft stuff at Wal Mart and dollar shops but we need to patronize our dedicated fabric/craft/wool shops too, because they carry such a good selection, and have knowledgeable staff. Crafters and seamstresses / seamsters need these stores.
After cooing over them, I am now keen to learn to knit or crochet these puppets as well as make the felt ones. My last attempt at wool craft was in Grade 9 Home Ec. at ARHS, when I took a whole term to crochet a pink yardstick cover, a really useful item, eh? I think I was at the stage of "I am so embarrassed to be in Home Ec." that I didn't try very hard!
Now, working away with wool in front of the TV is appealing, if there is anything on TV that I actually want to see. The felt puppets involve sewing on the machine and hot-gluing so they are not as TV-friendly though good for listening to the radio or MP3. I think if one had a good, even blanket stitch, one could sew the seam on the felt puppets by hand in front of TV, but my blanket stitch isn't at that level. Any advice from readers as to whether I should attempt knitting or crocheting first?

No comments:

StatCounter


View My Stats